Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a sports NUT. I love sports, all kinds, especially those that are played with a ball. I love to watch football, basketball, hockey, even tennis and golf. To me, though, baseball is something special. It's old-fashioned and full of history. Americans have had a love affair with baseball for over 100 years. I've had a love affair with baseball, and in particular, the New York Yankees, for most of my life.
Of all the sports and teams I follow, I love none more than I love the Yankees. I remember going to the Stadium as a girl, eating big, soft pretzels with lots of salt, getting to drink soda (which we were hardly ever allowed) and enjoying every minute of it. From the long ride into the City, to the long ride back to Eastern Long Island, the entire day was a thrill. We didn't get to go a lot, but we went enough. Enough to instill a love for the team that is still with me today.
Yankee Stadium is a special place. Babe Ruth hit the first home run ever hit there. It's hosted more World Series games than any other place, approximately one sixth of ALL World Series games ever played. Even if you hate the Yankees, you have to love the baseball history that has been made there. I will miss it, even though I haven't been there in years. It's a part of my childhood that I will always remember fondly. So, I have to say, farewell Yankee Stadium, thanks for the memories, it's been quite a ride.
Cinnamon coffee frozen yogurt
2 weeks ago
4 comments:
I'm a HUGE baseball fan too and am mourning the passing of Yankee Stadium, even though I root for their archenemy, the Red Sox. There is something special about taking in a game at one of the old ballparks.
Good bye to another era. My friend's son was fortunate enough to have been invited to The Last Game this weekend. I hope he tells his kids and his grand kids!
oh... and you have been tagged! Go to my blog to see what you need to do ;)
Even though I'm not a fan, I do have a tremendous amount of respect for the history and legacy that is the New York Yankees. I still want the Rays to win it, though. :-)
Post a Comment